The photo above is from Stocksy and is by Nabi Tang. If you find any errors below, please feel free to let me know.
I have not posted in a while, aside from my last trip to Aspen, but I wanted to write some quick thoughts and lessons I’ve learned. Every time I try to write about any sort of struggle or life event I refrain because I know there is someone somewhere who is going through so much more than I am, not to compare and contrast struggle and life but I understand that some battles are a privilege and that there are so many bumps out there that someone is facing tonight and I don’t want to over shadow that- this blog is meant to remind you of your power and not your fault- your light and your inner strength. When I started this site, it was originally called ‘finding inspiration in the world around you.’ Partly because sometimes we can look around and be lost of hope and if you don’t take the time to find what makes you happy, you may miss out on the whole point of life and go about only seeing what could go wrong; when in reality there are so many things good things happening if we choose to see them. But we must be willing to jump out of our negativity and create something positive with the energy we’ve been given.
With that, I wanted to take a minute to talk about some things that have been on my mind recently, mainly around lessons that have been continually popping up and felt the need to share. Please feel free to comment on others, I’d love to hear your thoughts.
- Finding what makes you happy can be the hardest, scariest journey you can face. Fighting for who you are can be difficult, uncomfortable and emotionally draining. It’s okay. Do it anyway, you only get one opportunity to do life right. Even if you mess up 7 times along the way, get back up 8 and say ‘I will find my way.’
- Just because things aren’t going well in the beginning doesn’t mean they won’t get better. Sometimes when things get tough, we give up. When things make us uncomfortable, we run away because it is hard. Sometimes you have to go through the hardest of things to get to the glory of God. Even when you have no energy left, putting one foot in front of the other will help you continue to plunge ahead, no matter how small.
- Be flexible, keep an open mind. Life is not a straight line, nor is it horizontal. It is jagged, rectangular and everything but linear. It will knock you off your feet, throw you in for a ride and show you your strength. Don’t let where you are at today deter you from moving forward. Just because your life does not look like what you think it’s supposed to be, doesn’t mean it won’t shape up to be the way it’s meant to be.
- There are SO MANY ways that you can do what you love. You may originally go out thinking you’re going to be a journalist and find that you’re interested in engineering and working on storytelling platforms like wordpress and tumblr, that doesn’t mean you’ve given up, you just found a new way to tell stories; let life teach you where you’re meant to be. Learn about the things you like and enjoy, there is no limit to what you can do if you are open to possibilities. Be stern with your vision but don’t be afraid to stray from your plans to find your true purpose.
- It’s okay not to know. This one is a hard one for my ego to admit from time to time, but it is truth. Not knowing something doesn’t make you unintelligent, or unmotivated; it makes you open to learning. Don’t doubt your ability to learn. It will get you further than what you already know. Not everyone knows everything there is to know, and that is okay.
- Find truth, seek truth, it is the only thing that will set you free. If you are unhappy, be okay with admitting that to yourself and working on up. Being unhappy is just a shift in energy to guide you to where you need to be. If you are miserable, chances are you may need to make a shift in your life, be it small or large, move something, subtract something. How are you spending your time? What needs to be subtracted? Added? It’s okay to let go of what makes you unhappy. Moving towards things that excite you will lead you to better days. Inch by inch or one giant leap- go and keep going.
- Stumbling, tumbling and falling is all a part of your journey. Keep going.
I know I say keep going a lot but I mean it. It’s one of the things that will get you out of where you are at right now and into a better place. If you move in any direction, even if it’s just out of your bed or even if it is just a pinch, be it in your mind or real life, even a grain of faith will get you further than the 700 negative thoughts and scenarios you can paint in your mind.
Sometimes our life gets a bit crazy to lead us towards a better version our self; what we know to be true. Trust that you are being guided no matter how scary or confusing the leap and journey may be. I hope before you go to bed tonight you see how everything you’re worried about and everything you’ve been through has shaped you into a better person.
Even if it hurts to admit you’ve fallen, or even if you feel like you’ve failed, I hope you see that you are simply being led to a new path that is all your own.
Keep hope, Keep faith, Keep your hope and faith alive.